 Robotics / 7570
RE: Wot no RCX power connector?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics
Date:
Thu, 21 Oct 1999 01:23:25 GMT

Doug Wrote:
To: lugnet.robotics@lugnet.com
Subject: Re: Wot no RCX power connector?

SNIP
While I'm at it, another question for the group. If one wanted to add an
adapter plug to the 1.5 RCX, would it be safe to wire it directly
to either
end of the existing battery terminals (with a cut-off switch to disconnect
the batteries from the circuit), as long as one were careful about the
milliamps rating on the AC adapter?

--Doug Wilcox

SNIP

I was thinking about this last night.  It would be very easy to build a
dummy battery, using a 7809 voltage regulator, diode bridge on the input,
and a shell to put it in.

My stumbling block last night was finding the right tube....does anyone
remember the "dummy" cells that you used with the old NiCads.  One of those
would be perfect.  Anyhow, the LS7809 fits easily within the width of a AA
cell, add the adaptor of choice, and drill a 0.187 hole thru one of the
studs on the bottom of the battery case (has anyone else noticed how well a
drilled hollow stud fits a 1 3/4 LED?) in the right location, and you're
done.  If I had the right part for the tube, I'd have one done.

Jeff
jeffrey.hazen@northmill.net