 Robotics / 7544
Re: Could somebody use this program?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics
Date:
Wed, 20 Oct 1999 10:37:55 GMT

At 07:08 06-10-1999 Wednesday , Michael Lachmann wrote:
[...]
Regarding the programmer for electronic Lego bricks:

Is it possible to change the firmware of a CyberMaster? I though this is not
possible, and therefor we would have to use the functions provided by the
spirit.ocx!? If this is the case the program would allow writing
applications which would run on both bricks as long as not special brick
depended commands are used (which could be controlled by my software).
If I'm wrong then I agree writing such a software would not realy make sence

The firware of the CyberMaster is burned in ROM so you have no way of changing it, and that's also why you can not use the LegOS with it.

The firware is a library of routines that make specific tasks. They can be output tasks, input or neither.
What the Spirit.ocx does (and NQC by the way) is to dowload a program that calls those routines to perform actions. The OCX literally takes care of everything for you, communications included.
The OCX creates a layer of abstraction that let you concentrate in the programming itself instead of loosing your time trying to figure out the Byte codes needed to perform such a task, sending them, etc.
It also easily integrates with the Windows 9x/NT 4.x operative systems and most advanced programming languages.

Laurentino Martins

[ mailto:lau@mail.telepac.pt ]
[ http://www.terravista.pt/Enseada/2808/ ]

Neither technology nor efficiency can acquire more time for you,
because time is not a thing you have lost. It is not a thing you ever had.