 Robotics / 7253
Re: Could somebody use this program?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics
Date:
Wed, 6 Oct 1999 06:08:45 GMT

I'm planning to release version 1.5 of MLCad soon, after that I would like
to introduce some things like compatibility to LDLite. I think release 1.6
should be the point where I slow down basic developments on this thing
except somebody wishes special things, or error corrections.
Since I'm not an expert in writing Mac apps, I will publish the source code
and allow anybody porting this thing to other platforms (except commercial
portings).

Regarding the programmer for electronic Lego bricks:

Is it possible to change the firmware of a CyberMaster? I though this is not
possible, and therefor we would have to use the functions provided by the
spirit.ocx!? If this is the case the program would allow writing
applications which would run on both bricks as long as not special brick
depended commands are used (which could be controlled by my software).
If I'm wrong then I agree writing such a software would not realy make sence

Mike

Stefano Franchi wrote in message ...
My advice (and it's free so it's worth every penny) is to focus
your considerable skills in polishing and speeding up MLCad. I doubt
if TLG would distribute it (you might ask nicely though) but you might
be able to get a book published about it....anyone else in the
group with writing or publishing experience might want to have
a look at this program too.

The other thing you might want to do is try to port it to Mac and Linux
desktops, in that order. This has BIG potential in the educational market.
I know some folks that have experience with porting issues to the Mac,
and I have LOTS of experience in writing software for different
embedded platforms. Get the software and book into schools, and you are
golden...

Michael,

do follow Ralph's excellent advice! I took a look at MLCad and found it a
truly excellent piece of software. I just wish it were available for Macs
and Linux! I do not know if the Mac is recovering in Europe (I guess you
live in Austria, from your e-mail address), but the reversal in the USA
educational market is nothing short of amazing. My son's school (he is in
middle  school) just reverted from a PC-only environment to i-Mac only or
almost. My department at Stanford has just completed a full installation of
i-Macs (for the grad students)+G4(for the faculty)+MacOs X server (to run
it all). Polishing MLCad and porting it to Macs and Linux would make the
life of many educators (and many a Lego fan ;-) ) much more fun.

just my 2 cents.

Stefano Franchi

Stefano Franchi

Department of Philosophy    Phone: Off:  (650) 723-0855
Stanford University                Home: (650) 497-2812
Stanford, CA 94305          Fax:         (650) 723-0985
USA

e-mail: franchi@csli.stanford.edu
http://spiel.stanford.edu