 Robotics / 7503
Re: AI and even more exiciting stuff
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics
Date:
Tue, 19 Oct 1999 15:27:42 GMT

Ralph Hempel wrote:
[ good rebuttal snipped ]

Geez, the more we talk about this stuff, the less confident I am that
anyone is paying attention in school. Or maybe they don't have enough
real-world experience put into school environmnents - the common argument
being that they're only trying to get the idea across, and the execution
doesn't really matter.

Actually, I went through two years of a systems engineering
degree. (before finally dropping out)  During that time I had many
semesters worth of math and CS... however, not one of them went over
fixed point math.  I'm hoping that they would have eventually gotten
to it... but I think your lack of confidence is justified.

In any case, I had heard about fixed-point math for years and
assumed that it was something complicated.  It wasn't until I was
doing a long period of extensive graphics work that someone pointed
out that I was using it.  It fits some graphics applications so well
that I had discovered it sort of by accident.

Any application where you eventually need integers anyway
will typically be a good candidate for fixed-point... and often
it can be more accurate than floating point.

So, if any of you are worried that it's complicated then
I highly recommend that you try it.  It isn't magic, it's just
a good technique to know when you need it.

I now relinquish the soap box,
-Paul (pspeed@progeeks.com, http://www.progeeks.com/)