 Robotics / 7487
RE: AI and even more exiciting stuff
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics
Date:
Tue, 19 Oct 1999 00:53:42 GMT

32K is a ton of memory for embedded 8 bit code... if you need data storage
and processing then that's an entirely different thing -- it could easily
make AI difficult.  As far as fixed point vs. floating point, I
once worked
on a project where they did the control loop calculations in fixed point.
It took literally days for them to rework the code every time you changed
the control data tables.  Since this project was really R&D even
though they
wanted it to be pre-production, it was a real pain.  When you are
doing R&D
type work you should not waste time optimizing to fit your resources you
should fit your resources to optimize your time.
In this case (under discussion) it is a big jump in $$$ and convenience to
go up from the RCX to a more capable controller platform (and no, the
handyboard does not help here).  In my experience fixed point
math tends to
dictate fixed control algorithms and fixed control constants whereas
floating point tends to allow you to make changes just about as
fast as you
can recompile.  Am I wrong?

Ummm, respectfully, yes. If the team took days to rework the code when
control data tables change, then they were not using tools and methods
appropriate to the task at hand. I'm hoping you weren't "them" :-)

The algorithm is the same whether or not you use fixed point math. The
constants and their REPRESENTATION may change from floats to fixed,
but that should be easy to handle.

In most cases, the conversion from floating point to fixed point should
be handled by an automatic tool. I have used awk, perl, and even TCL
to massage floating point numbers to the appropriate fixed point format
for tables.

Geez, the more we talk about this stuff, the less confident I am that
anyone is paying attention in school. Or maybe they don't have enough
real-world experience put into school environmnents - the common argument
being that they're only trying to get the idea across, and the execution
doesn't really matter.

Oops, time to get off the soapbox again,  sorry.