 Robotics / 7378
Re: Fire Extinguishers
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics
Date:
Wed, 13 Oct 1999 14:39:12 GMT

I can offer some suggestions. Part of the fun of Lego MindStorms is figuring
things out on one's own ... but a few hints probably won't hurt.

Because the light sensor is particularly sensitive to infrared (IR), you
should be able to use it to locate a candle located at approximately the
height of the sensor. (I've built very simple 'bots that will track any
light source and move toward it; this is just a slight variation of that.)

Your trick is the actual extinguisher part. This isn't going to be quite so
easy with the standard parts, but it's not impossible. (Dang, I really need
another RIS ...)

We'll assume for the moment that the "fire" is merely a candle flame. One
could attach a wet sponge to a boom that would hit the flame and put it out.
If you use one motor for your movement instead of two (a pain, but it can be
done), you would then have all sorts of options. Perhaps devising a chamber
filled partly with baking soda which gets vinegar added to it (driven by the
other motor); then the resulting foam and gasses (which I believe would
contain a high CO2 concentration) could be delivered by a tube to the flame.
A little elaborate, but it should work. Of course, if you've got a second
motor, just dumping water over the candle would be easier. There are many
possibilities.

So, are you doing this for a school project, or what?

--The WordMeister

Doug Wilcox

WordSmith Digital Document Services
403 VFW Drive
Rockland, MA 02370

781-871-6162
fax 781-871-6264
http://www.wordsmithdigital.com
ICQ# 24868783

• Web design (including e-commerce)
• Searchable Digital Documents on CD
• Desktop Publishing • Design • Scanning
• Computer/Software Consulting (Technical Wizardry)
• Computer Demons Exorcised
• Officially Registered in Dogbert's New Ruling Class