 Robotics / 7289
Re: Lego for real research
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics
Date:
Thu, 7 Oct 1999 16:34:43 GMT

John Barnes wrote in message <3.0.32.19991007113228.00d53e90@mailserver>...
I was interested to note the sad comments about Lego being
just a toy! I am also a professional engineer, of 25 years
standing, who enjoys recreational Lego. RIS is one of the
more significant steps toward accessible home robotics in
recent years.

John:

    I am a Mechanical with 11 years, and my wife is an Electrical with 15
years experience. Between our Lego habits, and our poor "doomed to be a
nerd" 3-1/2 year old, Lego does make a significant part of our play time.

    Mindstorms IS a great learning tool, along with the older Lego sets. Our
son, Alex, can already build sets like the 6649 Street Sweeper by himself.
He eyes the RIS and drools (no, not literally).

    I don't much care what some articles say about the worthlessness of RIS
at the college level for research. Prior to college, and then after college,
Lego RIS is an amazing tool/toy. After all, the best tools are ones that are
fun to play with! All anyone needs to do to see the legitimacy of the RIS is
to tune-in to LUGNET.ROBOTICS. Amazing stuff, guys!

Eric