 Robotics / 7288
Re: Lego for real research
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics
Date:
Thu, 7 Oct 1999 16:32:48 GMT

I was interested to note the sad comments about Lego being
just a toy! I am also a professional engineer, of 25 years
standing, who enjoys recreational Lego. RIS is one of the
more significant steps toward accessible home robotics in
recent years.

In an important series I took as part of my computer science degree at the
University of Utah, we did group projects simulating industry (requirements,
design phase, etc....) which turned out products which were robots and
scanners and such of different types built from Legos and/or Fischerteknic
(sp?) parts.  It's great to see the Mindstorms sets (I have it and many
others) bringing the prices down to much more reasonable levels so that
everybody can join in on what is truly professional robotics design.