 Robotics / 686
Re: One tip, and a few questions.
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics
Date:
Sat, 21 Nov 1998 06:01:16 GMT

In article <01BE14B1.B5C66E80.eric.hodges@platinum.com>, Eric Hodges
<eric.hodges@platinum.com> writes
One uses a single
light sensor.  The bot swivels until the sensor value starts to decrease,
then swivels back and goes forward until the light decreases by some fixed
percentage.  Then it starts swiveling again, but in the opposite direction.
This is good for finding the boundary between light and darkness.

In the fifties I built a heat-seeking swivelling "eye" using that method
with valve (tube) technology.  The IR detector was an old fashioned
glass envelope design which looked like a small light bulb.   I painted
an eye on the front and mounted it on a motorised swivel base.  It would
scan the room looking for warm objects and stare at them as they moved
around.

Unfortunately when I was working in the room it would become captivated
by the soldering iron and gaze at it lovingly, ignoring everyone else.
I also had to hide its own amplifier to rule out narcissism.
--
Regards - Peter Hesketh, Mynyddbach, Mon.
Forty reasons why a dog is better than a woman: number 7