 Robotics / 685
Re: Best Lego Kit with Micro-motors
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics
Date:
Sat, 21 Nov 1998 06:01:45 GMT

I good place to start when looking for a "one of item" is Lego Shop at Home.

I have a feeling that not everyone here (Lugnet.robotics) has a big history
in Lego, and may have even just started with Mindstorms.  Many of the items
that people have been asking "what sets they are in" can be bought
separately at Lego Shop at Home.  Now on an international note, I don't know
for sure if such a service exists in locations other than North America.  I
think there is an equivalent service in Europe, but am not 100% on that.

Basically you can buy motors, gear packages, and special parts for a
slightly elevated price.  Your best value is to get items in a set, but if
you only want a 17.00$CAN micro motor, you might not want to buy the 225$CAN
Space shuttle.  Killing two birds with one stone, or many pieces with one
set is always good, even if might cost more and you don't need the
additional pieces in the set (right then).  It is a trade-off of which to
do.  Sadly, a trade-off I face almost each day.

Call Shop at Home, and get a catalog, and see what they have to offer.  You
will soon notice that the pieces offered and the pieces not offered are very
strategically chosen.  You want a gear shift box... Lego wants a 200.00$CAN.

Another option is Dacta.  Dacta is the educational wing of Lego (I think).
They offer a few different (from S@H) part packages, but prices are a little
higher.  Actually if you have the two catalogs side by each, you might think
that they were two different companies (maybe they are, I don't know).
There is HUGE price discrepancies... in both directions!

Anyway,

Canada 1-800-267-5346 Ext. 222
US 1-860-763-4011
Usual business hours (EST)

Don't know the Dacta info... anyone?

LINC

... just waiting for the day when I can get my Lego Shop at Home deducted
from my paycheck directly.

Ps. Check the Lugnet set indexes ( http://www.lugnet.com/ ) for pictures.
Some sets have had there piece inventories done.
Pps. Apologies to those know all this, have memorized the number, and are
recognized by voice...by multiple operators.
:)

Makkyoan wrote in message <01be1447$a5474ee0$13a94b0c@cped-remote1>...
Hey folks,

I need to couple more micro-motors.  What would be good kit to buy to get
those and other good stuff.  Pneumatics would be wonderful.    I'm not
familiar with the current kits, so I need advice.