 Robotics / 682
RE: One tip, and a few questions.
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics
Date:
Sat, 21 Nov 1998 02:15:09 GMT

The scale is from 0-100, where 0 is dark and 100 is light.

Why does everyone want to use a laser pointer?  This seems like the hard
way to do things.  I use a big Mag-Lite flash light.  The beam is fairly
directional, but large enough that the bot can stay within its bounds.    A
laser pointer seems like it would be harder for the bot to detect, since
the light is coherent.

I have 2 basic strategies for driving into the light.  One uses a single
light sensor.  The bot swivels until the sensor value starts to decrease,
then swivels back and goes forward until the light decreases by some fixed
percentage.  Then it starts swiveling again, but in the opposite direction.
This is good for finding the boundary between light and darkness.

The other uses 2 sensors and compares the values.  The sensors are mounted
on a V shaped platform so they point in slightly different directions
(about a 20-30 degree angle between them).  If both sensors are within a
fixed percentage of each other, I drive both motors.  When the difference
becomes too great, I drive the motor on the dark side of the bot.  This
tends to aim the bot directly into the light and it stays a very stable
course all the way in.

Both strategies deal with ambient light levels very well.  Since I don't
have any fixed values to indicate what is light and what is dark, they
always end up going toward the first bright thing they see.  If it's a
reflection off a wall they bump into the wall and start spinning around,
usually finding the source of the reflection.