 Robotics / 6671
Re: robotic rovers
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics
Date:
Thu, 2 Sep 1999 15:56:09 GMT

I had written:
I had thought of one that could work, but haven't applied it yet.  It
goes like this:

Given an AB steering system (ie. each side controlled by a separate
motor).

Wheel A <---- Motor A ----> Differential <(inverted)- Motor B ---->
Wheel B
   ^
Clutch  (that can lock up this Differential)
   +-----Motor C

1) When going straight, the clutch is locked to the differential case
preventing it from rotating and effectively locking A in step with B.
2) Before turning, dis-engage the Clutch with Motor C, now A and B turn
independently.
3) Do your turn.
4) Re-engage the clutch before going straight.
5) Go straight. • to which alex wetmore wrote:

It sounds like you guys are trying to re-invent the adder/subtractor system.
Check out http://www.phred.org/~alex/lego for some designs using this.

Yeah, I suppose you are right.  I think the only advantage to this
scheme is that you can use a micro motor to power the clutch mechanism
to that you don't tie up a full size motor.  Also if you are running out
of motor outputs, you can use a sensor output and toggle the micro motor
on and off by setting the sensor mode from an active type (ie. light
sensor or angle sensor) to a passive type (switch, edge detection, temp,
etc).  This allows you to preserve the port as a sensor input at the
same time as it is possible to multiplex both functions.  See my
Output!
(which actually should have read Use RCX sensor port as a Sensor Port
AND a Motor Output! oops :)

Dave