 Robotics / 6635
Re: robotic rovers
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics
Date:
Tue, 31 Aug 1999 00:13:29 GMT

It sounds like you guys are trying to re-invent the adder/subtractor system.
Check out http://www.phred.org/~alex/lego for some designs using this.

In an adder/subtractor you have two motors, A and B.  The wheels are then
run through a mechanical linkage such that one wheel has A+B, and the other
wheel has A-B.  Then to go forward you turn on motor +A, with reverse
being -A.  To spin left you turn on -B, and +B to go right.

The disadvantages compared to having direct motor control of your wheels is
that with direct control you get more power.  The adder/subtractor looses
some power through the mechanical linkage, and starts with half the power
anyway because only one motor is used for forward motion (instead on a
direct drive system).

alex

----- Original Message -----
From: "David Chen" <nospam-dcchen@pacbell.net-nospam>
To: <lego-robotics@crynwr.com>
Sent: Monday, August 30, 1999 4:49 PM
Subject: Re: robotic rovers

I wrote:
I have also figured that if you connect the two motors to each other • (as
well as to their respective outputs), you should lock in their • movements
together.  Perhaps you could run this thru a interrupter switch to shut
off this connection while turning. • To which you wrote:
Well, I was with you up to this point...  I don't understand exactly • what
you're suggesting here. • Then he wrote: (much more concisely)
I think what David meant with the phrase "lock in their movements • together" is
the incorporation of an electronic or mechanical device that will • connect the
respective wheel outputs so that the robot travels in an absolutely • straight
line...<snip>

It could work in theory, but I just tested it again with 2 motors that
were grossly mismatched.  Having both motors interconnected
(electrically) did NOT cause their respective torques to match up as I
had hoped.  I think the key would be in a mechanical lockup between the
two axles.

I had thought of one that could work, but haven't applied it yet.  It
goes like this:

Given an AB steering system (ie. each side controlled by a separate
motor).

Wheel A <---- Motor A ----> Differential <(inverted)- Motor B ---->
Wheel B
   ^
Clutch  (that can lock up this Differential)
   +-----Motor C

1) When going straight, the clutch is locked to the differential case
preventing it from rotating and effectively locking A in step with B.
2) Before turning, dis-engage the Clutch with Motor C, now A and B turn
independently.
3) Do your turn.
4) Re-engage the clutch before going straight.
5) Go straight.

Sure it ties up an extra output, but you now have synched outputs at
will.

Eh?
Dave