 Robotics / 6630
Re: On the Subject of Treads
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics
Date:
Mon, 30 Aug 1999 19:03:10 GMT

In lugnet.robotics, lego-robotics@crynwr.com (John Barnes) writes:
the treads slowly precess relative to the cogging on the tread
wheels. Then, the ribs on the inside surface of the tread
"climb over" the ribs on the tread wheels. This causes a big
increase in friction, and is not acceptable. I have tried to
construct devices using treads as conveyors, with the same
result. I have tried different tensioning schemes, but nothing
seems to help.

Does anyone know how to get around this?

I have noted that driven treads, ie; motorless toy being pushed
never does this, but motorized ones, with driven treads always do!

JB

I have never tried this, but maybe you could build a frame around the tank
tread so that the tread doesn't work itself off the wheel.  You could run two
technic beams along the side of the tread so that it doesn't shift from side
to side.  It's a bit hard to explain, but if you look in the MindStorms
Constructopedia on page 27, example 8 shows a tread built with a frame.

Alternatively, perhaps you could find a way to power both tread wheels instead
of leaving one freewheeling.  This will ensure that the tension on both wheels
is the same.  Hopefully this would act the same as a motorless toy being
pushed along, since the tension is applied similarly in both cases.

HTH,

Ian