 Robotics / 6553
Re: Robot related books...?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics
Date:
Wed, 25 Aug 1999 20:49:27 GMT

I really liked Ramblin' Robots by Ingrid Wickelgren.  I learned some general
things about robots - even though the book was written for teenagers.  A book
aimed at younger kids is Robotics by T. Potter, lots of pictures and stuff.
Beyond kids stuff, I also enjoyed Vehicles:Experiments in Synthetic Psychology
by Valentino Braitenberg.  Its psychology-type stuff, like the subtitle says.
I've just started to read Mobile Robots by Joseph Jones, Bruce Seiger and Anita
Flynn.  This has practical instructions for building your own analog and
microprocessor-based robots that you can build from LEGO and radio shack parts
and seems pretty readable.  I also bought (but haven't cracked open) The Robot
Builder's Bonanza: 99 Inexpensive Robotics Projects by Gordon McComb.  I also
attempted to read Cybernetics by Norbert Wiener.  Its supposed to be this great
book and stuff, but I could only get to page 50 (out of 200) before I was bored
to tears... especially since the book, for the most part, after page 50, was
mostly calculus.

Basically these were all the robotics books that I could find that were under
$50 (except for Robots: your high-tech world by gloria skurzynski, which
amazon.com still hasn't delivered yet, and some others that i might check out
someday)

have you gone to robotbooks.com?

-Ben

Steve Barritz wrote:

I'd like to ask if anyone has read *Behavior-Based Robotics (Intelligent
Robots and Autonomous Agents)*.  In the description it says "As the first
true survey of the robotics field, it is appropriate for graduate students
new to AI / Robotics."  Graduate students?  What about regular humans like
myself?  I don't want it to be over my head.  Does anyone have a clue as to
what the accessibility level of this book is?

I'd also like to invite anyone to speak up about other books they might
recommend regarding, well, intelligent robots and autonomous agents.

Thanks,
SB