 Robotics / 6625
Re: Robot related books...?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics
Date:
Mon, 30 Aug 1999 14:20:27 GMT

In lugnet.robotics, lego-robotics@crynwr.com (Steve Barritz) writes:
I'd like to ask if anyone has read *Behavior-Based Robotics (Intelligent
Robots and Autonomous Agents)*.  In the description it says "As the first
true survey of the robotics field, it is appropriate for graduate students
new to AI / Robotics."  Graduate students?  What about regular humans like
myself?  I don't want it to be over my head.  Does anyone have a clue as to
what the accessibility level of this book is?

Hmm. It is has pretty variable accessability- I'd say anyone with a programming
background will be able to read nearly all of it. However, it can at times be
dry and difficult to follow, which makes it not so great reading for people
without a serious CS background. On the flip side, as a survey, it doesn't
contain nearly enough detail to use as the basis for serious work.  I found it
basically most interesting as a "this is what everyone is doing... here is
where you can actually read something informative" type of thing. It's
unfortunate, as we were considering using it as a textbook here. Oh well...

I'd also like to invite anyone to speak up about other books they might
recommend regarding, well, intelligent robots and autonomous agents.

I'd check out the Braitenberg book mentioned elsewhere in this list- it is not
rigorous in any way, but it is incredibly thought provoking. Not much else I
can recommend, unfortunately. Oh well-
Luis