 Robotics / 6456
Re: r/c servos
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics
Date:
Fri, 20 Aug 1999 15:20:38 GMT

I love the idea of controlling an R/C servo with the RCX, but I don't think it
is possible with only software.  On the other hand, a relatively simple
circuit could be made to convert a duty cycle to a R/C servo signal.  Is
anyone out there interested in something like this?  If there is enough
interest I will take the time to draw up a circuit and post it somewhere.  Let
me know.

A few comments on the questions asked.

Since RC servos use pulse width as the input, there is already potential
here. Does any one, with a deeper knowledge of the insides of the RCX code
know if the squarewave duty cycle is being controlled by software or a
hardware based PWM?

I am almost positive that the PWM is done in hardware.  There are three output
driver chips, seperate from the microcontroller.  The microcontroller sends
duty cycle commands to these chips, but  I believe the PWM frequency is fixed
by an RC network extenal to the driver chip.

the signals on the I/O ports with a scope, that the motor power settings
result in varying duty cycle square waves from 1:7 through 7:1 and finally
full on as the parameter value sweeps 0 -7.

I believe these output controllers are also capable of much more than 3 bits
of resolution.  I just got my RIS and have not done much programming yet, but
I have been doing lots of research.  If you look at the documentation for
LegOS (an alternate firmware for the RCX, found at http://www.noga.de/legOS/),
the motor speed can be set from 0 to 255.  That's 8 bits!  Does anyone else
have more experience with LegOS?

Zeke