 Robotics / 6405
6404  |  6406
Subject:
Alternate IR Tower power source
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics
Date:
Tue, 17 Aug 1999 22:15:40 GMT

I've intended to report a modification to my IR tower for quite a while but
hadn't felt it was very important; however, there has been a rash of messages
about battery life lately, so its time to report this....

I have converted my IR tower to use a 9V DC 300mA wall wart.  I purchased a
Radio Shack DC power jack that matched a wart I already own (part # 274-1565a),
mounted it on the tower on the raised, flat rectangle on the back of the tower
right above the battery housing.  I soldered the leads of the jack to the 9V
battery terminals of the tower circuit board and reassembled.

I can now power with either a battery or a wall wart.  I have been using this
setup for about 4 months and have had no ill effects.  I suppose if I connected
the wart while a battery was installed it might cause an overload, but I have
not, nor will I try this.  I guess I don't have to state that my battery usage
is low.  ;)

If anyone is interested in pictures I could get some photos up on a web site.
Let me know if this is required.

-Wes