 Robotics / 6406
RE: Alternate IR Tower power source
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics
Date:
Tue, 17 Aug 1999 22:22:08 GMT

I've intended to report a modification to my IR tower for quite a while but
hadn't felt it was very important; however, there has been a rash of messages
about battery life lately, so its time to report this....

I have converted my IR tower to use a 9V DC 300mA wall wart.  I purchased a
Radio Shack DC power jack that matched a wart I already own (part # 274-1565a),
mounted it on the tower on the raised, flat rectangle on the back of the tower
right above the battery housing.  I soldered the leads of the jack to the 9V
battery terminals of the tower circuit board and reassembled.

Yikes! I did a similar thing. I took a 9v wallwart and used a 9V snap connector
from a dead IR remote - the IR led is being used in a secret project...

Anyways, the snap connector can be "pressed" against the terminals in the tower
using a bit of foam rubber. Now snap the cover on and the cord even comes out
of the little notch in the cover...

Nice, clean, and it doesn't void my tower warranty...

Cheers,

Ralph Hempel - P.Eng

<http://www.hempeldesigngroup.com/lego/pbFORTH>
Reply to:      rhempel at bmts dot com