 Robotics / 6013
Re: Lego is like nanomachines
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics
Date:
Tue, 3 Aug 1999 22:08:22 GMT

Molecular Lego has been claimed by several researchers. A publication from
Tetrahedron Letters last year comes to mind. Unfortunately, I think the
claims of Lego-like properties were far off. No doubt, it is a difficult
task, experimental chemistry is difficult, and atoms/molecules are not very
mechanical.
BTW, I guess TLG is not happy with claims of molecular Lego, they usually
try to protect the Lego name from degenerating.

Thomas Hoeg-Jensen, Denmark

-----Original Message-----
From: Chris Phillips <chris.phillips@computerboards.com>
To: lego-robotics@crynwr.com <lego-robotics@crynwr.com>
Date: Wednesday, August 04, 1999 12:00 AM
Subject: Re: Lego is like nanomachines

In lugnet.robotics, Robert Munafo writes:
Wow. Imagine what it would be like if some team of scientists could design • a
molecule corresponding to each LEGO element. Then, you could use LEGO as a
prototyping system for nanobots. After you have the basics of your • mechanical
design worked out, you could then construct a nanobot based on the same • design.

Anyone feel up to the challenge? (-: [-8

Whoops!  I just dropped my nano-brick separator and split an atom!