 Robotics / 6014
Re: Necessary components in Mindstorms software?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics
Date:
Wed, 4 Aug 1999 04:47:57 GMT

In order to use NQC (the compiler used by RCX Command Center) you will
need the official Lego firmware.  Robolab will download this to the RCX
for you, so you won't need to get the Mindstorms RIS software if you want
to use NQC as a stand-alone tool.

RCX Command Center uses the Spirit.ocx component installed as part of the
Mindstorms RIS software.  I'm not sure how much of RcxCC can be used when
spirit.ocx is not installed.

Software that uses replacement firmware (legOS, pbForth) require
absolutely no Lego software (other than what's already burned into the
RCX's ROM).

Dave Baum

In article <FFwq5r.9C6@lugnet.com>, "David List" <davidlist@mail.tele.dk> wrote:

Since I haven´t got Mindstorms yet, I am as unexperienced as one can be, so
you must bear over with me.
If I buy the Robolab kit, which does not contain the normal Mindstorms
software, only the Robolab software, will I then be missing
software-components that are necessary to run other programming softwares (I
am looking forward to try out "RCX Command Center")?

Since the Robolab seems to be the most tempting offer, I would like to go
for that, but not if it prevents me from experimenting with other
programming softwares.

I hope you can spare the time to look into this, if you haven´t already got
the answer.

TIA
Best regards,
David List