 Robotics / 5797
Re: Best (disposable) battery for the RCX?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics
Date:
Mon, 26 Jul 1999 04:06:59 GMT

I use Ray-o-Vac Renewals (rechargeable alkalines), and am quite pleased
with them.  For best performance they should be recharged very often -
even if only partially drained.  I just get in the habit of swapping out a
set of batteries before starting any project and having one extra set
around always fully charged.

NiCad is a bad choice because the nominal cell voltage is pretty low
(1.2V) compared to alkaline (1.5V).  This means that even when fully
charged they aren't delivering the same power as an alkaline.  Memory
effect (depending on the cell itself) can also be troublesome.

I haven't tried NiMH myself.  It should perform better than NiCad, but
leakage current in NiMH cells is pretty bad, meaning they will drain
annoyingly fast if just sitting on a shelf for days or weeks.  Under
contant use, however, the leakage current isn't a big deal.  Its been a
long time since I looked at battery chemistries, but if memory serves,
NiMH can support higher currents than alkaline.  Given the power
requirements of the Mindstorms motors, I doubt this is a big deal.
However, if you wanted to power three or four of the old Technic 9V
motors, then this higher current might be necessary.  This is what makes
NiMH a good choice for things like digital cameras with built in flashes.
(keep in mind I'm going from memory here - can anyone verify that NiMH has
a lower internal resistance than alkaline, thus can support higher
currents?)

Dave