 Robotics / 5777
Re: "Wireless" camera
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics
Date:
Wed, 21 Jul 1999 21:47:53 GMT

From: One Time CR-X <hchea@ramapo.edu>
The rcx controls the rotation of the camera/rubberband gun, as well as the
trigger for the rubberband gun.  So from my computer (which has a tv tuner
card to view the picture from the camera) I can remotely aim the gun, and
fire at targets.  It's quite fun.  The rcx is controlled by the RCX Test
Panel for Mac.

An obvious project that could be based on this would be some sort of image
analysis software that would track an object and point the camera (and thus
your rubber band weapon) at it.  As a starting point something like a bright
white ball (so easy to in the image via software) could be tracked.  Being
able to approximate how far off center the ball is, and then moving the
camera to center on it, would a good challenge.

This is getting pretty close to one of the research areas where I work.  If
anybody is interested in further reading on machine vision, check out
http://www.ai.sri.com/perception for some publications and other info.

What color is a chameleon on a mirror?                           Jason Jenkins
                                                            jenkins@ai.sri.com