 Robotics / 5634
Re: Is miniboard a solution for semi-beginner?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics
Date:
Tue, 13 Jul 1999 19:31:00 GMT

Philippe Jadin wrote:
[snip]

Philippe ... I strongly recommend that you look into the HandyBoard
before you commit to the MiniBoard.
    http://el.www.media.mit.edu/projects/handy-board/
It has drivers for 4 DC motors, 9 digital inputs, 7 analog inputs,
two onboard switch inputs, one potentiometer input, IR input/output,
a piezo beeper, and a 2x16 LCD.  The expansion board adds 10 additional
analog sensor inputs, 4 inputs for active LEGO sensors, 9 digital
outputs, 6 servo motor control outputs, a connector for a Polaroid
6500 sonar ranging system.  The HandyBoard can be programmed with
Interactive C and/or 68HC11 assembler ... and there is a large on
line support group ... including input by the father of the Handy
Board, Dr. Fred Martin.

-Where could i buy a miniboard (pcb,kit or finished one) considering i
live in europe
The HandyBoard is available assembled from:
   http://www.gleasonresearch.com/
and assembled or kit form from:
   http://home.hkstar.com/~huip/
Patrick Hui is based in Hong Kong and sells world wide.

-The rcx is using IR. Am i right ? if so, it can't leave the room where
the master computer is. With miniboard and radio mipod, we get lot more
freedom.
The LEGO IR tower is used only to program the RCX ... once programmed
it can be powered down, taken to another location, and powered back
up to run the loaded program(s).

-The miniboard has only 2k for programs. I've heard that it could be
upgraded to 12k simply by changing the 68hc11 ? Is there really a plug
and pray replacement ? Do i have to change icc11 compilation ?

-Is there an alternative to the miniboard in the same price range, which
could be easier to build/program (basic stamp ? how about robotic with
it ?)
The FingerBoard by EAS is a great lower cost replacement for the
HandyBoard ... it's compatible in that it also runs Interactive C.
    http://www.hooked.net/~jfong/

If you can afford two "brains", then one RCX and one HandyBoard make
a great pair.  I have three 'bots ... can lift the RCX out and drop
in the HB, and add a bunch of sensors and behaviors.

Have fun,
- - Nick - -