 Robotics / 5633
Re: Is miniboard a solution for semi-beginner?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics
Date:
Tue, 13 Jul 1999 19:01:00 GMT

Philippe Jadin wrote:

Hi legoguys !

Being very interested by all those robtics stuffs, i'm looking for a
good devellopement system.
I intend to build or buy the miniboard, instead of using the lego RCX.
Mainly to get more inputs/outputs and flexibility. I have some questions
regarding those :
(i'm sory if someone asked them before. Also, tell me if i'm at the
wrong place to ask this. I'm a very beginner to internet)

Nope.  This is the perfect place.

-Is there an alternative to the miniboard in the same price range, which
could be easier to build/program (basic stamp ? how about robotic with
it ?)

I'd recommend Fred Martin's Handyboard (which is far more robust than the
miniboard.)  For a brief examination of each for purposes of choosing
between them, take a look at:
http://lcs.www.media.mit.edu/groups/el/projects/handy-board/faq/index.html#mbdiff

The miniboard is probably easier (and cheaper) to build, but I don't know
what kind of support it still has.

The only real problem that I personally have with these bare-board solutions
is their lack of "lego-ness".  If somebody would make a good quality case
for the Handyboard that was more directly lego compatible (i.e. like the
RCX), I'd certainly be interested in picking one up when the spare cash
comes my way to be able to invest in a Handyboard and accessories.

Mark