 Robotics / 5521
Re: Controlling Digital Camera via Infra Red?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics
Date:
Mon, 5 Jul 1999 22:33:43 GMT

Although the RCX uses IR, it is not IrDA compliant.

The RCX operates using the same carrier (38kHz) found in many consumer
remote devices (television, VCR, etc).  Aside from that it is non-standard
as far as IR communication goes.  Simple - but non-standard - which means
it may be easy enough to build hardware and/or software to communicate
with the RCX, but its unlikely that anything will communicate with it
"off-the-shelf".

If you bypass the firmware and control the RCX IR hardware directly, you
can probably do some more interesting things with it.  I don't think you
could do IrDA from a "purist" perspective, but you may be able to generate
something that is close enough to be accepted most of the time.  The
problem is the 38kHz carrier - anyone know if it is generated in HW or
software?  What about the RX side?  I assume a bandpass at 38kHz, but
usually these are pretty wide.

Dave

In article <FEEwv8.EFK@lugnet.com>, "Hari Wiguna" <hari@mindvision.com> wrote:

Hi,

I was doing some research before purchasing a digital camera to take LEGO
pictures (suggestions welcome) when an idea hit me (BAM!) :-)

Wouldn't it be cool if the RCX could control a portable digital camera
through Infra Red?
For instance the Casio QV-770 is irDA compliant:
http://www.casio.com/digitalimaging/detail.cfm?PID=622

So instead of the kludgy motor clicking the button, it will be completely
digital.
The robot would carry an RCX and a portable digital camera.
RCX would send IR commands to the camera telling it to take pictures, zoom,
etc.
Maybe even tell the camera to transmit pictures back to the PC (through IR
of course).

My knowledge on this subject is practically nil, so maybe none of this is
possible, but I know there are some of you out there who can implement this
(you know who you are ;-))

Please share your thoughts and robots,
Hari Wiguna

--