 Robotics / 549
Re: moving in a straight line with two motors?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics
Date:
Sat, 14 Nov 1998 15:42:48 GMT

On Sat, 14 Nov 1998, Patrick Gili wrote:

Daniel Miller wrote in message ...
    This is all fine and well, but I was thinking about something
    a little less complex.  The RCX doesn't have the power to perform
    image processing and sophisticated feedback control.  What I was

Image processing?

Proportional control pushes back proportional to deflection (i.e. it
simulates a spring).  Derivative control pushes back proportional to rate
of deflection (i.e. it simulates dynamic friction).  Integral control
pushes back proportional to to the area under the curve.

It should be possible to implement this in the RCX.  The math is as
follows (assuming an angle sensor):

error = desired angle - actual angle

control effort = base control effort
                 + Kp * error
                 + Kd * (error-prev_error)/delta_t
                 + Ki * error * dt

where Kp, Ki, and Kd are gains chosen beforehand.

(This is a gross approximation... but it ought to work...)

    Another
    simple example consists of these bots that follow a line.  These
    bots close the loop using a light sensor to determine when the
    bot is no longer going the right direction.

This is a _very_ simplified version of proportional control.

Daniel "Dan'l" Miller                Senior, School of Aeronautics and
danielmi@expert.cc.purdue.edu        Astronautics, Purdue, Indiana
danielmi@cartoon.ecn.purdue.edu