 Robotics / 5415
Re: Ticklebot
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics
Date:
Tue, 22 Jun 1999 16:34:02 GMT

In lugnet.robotics, lego-robotics@crynwr.com (Lego Lad) writes:

Take a look at this - I reckon I'm a-gonna try and make a Lego one!  RCX or
Cybermaster? Hmm!

It's a 'tickling robot' that crawls over one's body, gently tickling as it
goes with its rubber pronged tracks.  It tries not to fall off, apparently
by measuring the slope of the surface, as it were.

      Neat!  I don't know if it's the best solution to the problem tho.
      I bet a robot like that would take a lot of abuse if its user
      doesn't lie still.

      Maybe you could think up a whole new way to do it.  Scott Adams, author
      of Dilbert, once (jokingly) envisioned electric t-shirts which would
      tickle you when you were sad.  Also, I remember a CNN story about
      a psychology professor who had a robot arm tickle the feet of
      experimental subjects.  She didn't use a real robot, but a fellow
      experimenter who hid under a table pertending to be a robot.
      Obviously, she could have used someone like you, to build a real one.

      I'd go with something wearable, something a user couldn't
      involuntarily shake off (or destroy!)  I guess it would also have
      to behave in an at least slightly unpredictable manner.

Chrid
                                                               -S