 Robotics / 5396
Re: Lab View
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics
Date:
Sat, 19 Jun 1999 00:10:17 GMT

As far as I can tell Robolab is really a slightly trimmed version of Labview,
with the bulk of the standard Labview VIs removed.
More important however, is the fact that since the RCX is a remote device, you
don't really make use of it in the same way. That is,  you build VIs which the
Robolab based application interprets into byte code that it downloads into the
RCX, as opposed to running locally. Once the byte code is downloaded into the
RCX, the robolab application stops running (& you can continue editing the
VI). There is very little, if no, interaction with your PC or Mac.
I would suspect that the Robolan VIs could be run under Labview, since my
suspicion is that the VI itself does the downloading , however I am not 100%
on that.
If you are interested in a direct PC connection to Lego equipment you might
want to consider getting a Lego controller instead, which has a serial
interface to a number of IO ports. You can then use a free extension to
Robolab (you still need it or a version of Labview). called Lego Engineer,
which uses Labview/Robolab to drive the Lego IO in "real time".

Finally, there are a plethora of altenative languages/interpreters out there
that do similar things, some much more powerful than Mindstorms or Robolab.

regards,
rob cairns

Sean McInnis wrote:

Hello I'm new to this group, and I don't have a RCX yet, I'm still
saving, and reading as much as I can.

And I have a couple of question.

I see that RoboLab is an an interface over Lab view. Has anyone written
anything is just Lab view 5 or is there a compiler built in to RoboLab?

Does anybody out there have RoboLab? if so how do you like it.

TKS