 Robotics / 5392
Re: Multi-RCX Dreaming
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics
Date:
Fri, 18 Jun 1999 17:52:19 GMT

Mike Moran <mm@ee.ed.ac.uk> wrote:
I'm kinda working on a simulation of the networking so that different
things can be tried out. It's not an emulator, it's a discrete event
simulator, but I'm trying to design it so that it will show the same
effects you'd find in the real thing. ...

Along these lines, I'm still curious about those ruminations that were
talked about on this list or maybe the .rcx or .rcx.legos lists regarding
transmission algorithms.  Not really having enough interest in the topic, I
do not have the motivation to test out algorithms or write a timing
simulator to do that, but I am still curious about the results of a set of
simple, first-hand networking experiments to describe the differences
between the "obvious" transmission strategies and collision avoidance/
management algorithms, given different types of transmitters
(e.g. different distributions of packet sizes and transmission
frequencies).  This, despite the fact that I could probably hunt down a
book and read about what people have already learned about this topic --
it's just so much easier (for me, at least) to understand what's going on
given first-hand experience (or nearly that, in this case).

At least one person had previously mentioned a discrete event simulator in
the works, but I forget who that was.  Maybe it was you, Mike, but for some
reason I thought it was somebody else.

Anyways, I at least am curious about the results, and I'd guess that there
are others out there who are also curious.  I don't know if that motivates
anybody or not, but there you have it.

-Kekoa