 Robotics / 5383
Re: multi-RCX dreaming
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics
Date:
Thu, 17 Jun 1999 20:36:44 GMT

On Thu, 17 Jun 1999, Mark Crosbie wrote:

In message <9C998CDFE027D211B61300A0C9CF9AB46F22C1@SNYC11309>, "Stalker-Wilde,
Graham" writes:
get them to play iterative prisoners' dilemma.
How is up to you. it could be a pure programming task - with IR the only
communication, or it could be more physical...

My thoughts exactly. Though I was leaning more towards experimenting with
different Evolutionary Stable Strategies (ESS). See if an RCX using
tit-for-tat ESS can invade a population of RCXs using a different, more
greedy, ESS. See Robert Axelrod's book for more details: "The Evolution of
Cooperation".

I'm a poli-sci major (in my spare time :) and own a copy of the book as a
result of that. I can't believe I didn't think of that myself.

My interests tend to lean towards emergent cooperation: can 6 RCXs do
something together as a team that one RCX cannot do?

Those are the kinds of things I was thinking about. A simple demo that I
have heard suggested elsewhere is to scatter a bunch of balls on a
surface. Each robot has basically five instructions:
1) find a ball.
2) pick it up.
3) find another ball.
4) put down the original ball next to the new found ball.
5) repeat (starting in such a way that the ball found in 1' is not the ball
found in 3.)

Eventually, this will collect all the balls in one location.

Another interesting task: program "flocking" behaviour. The rules that govern
schools of fish or flocks of birds are deceptively simple. Sort of "Stay a
constant distance from your nearest neighbour" and "Always head towards the
perceived point of greatest density of neighbours". These two rules allow a
flock/school to stay together, avoid obstacles and still regroup into a flock
as they fly/swim around things.

Good idea! I remember reading some articles about this some time ago.
I'll have to look it up and see if I can find some...

So what is the collective noun for a group of RCXs? A "brick" of RCXs :-)

Hehe... what is the collective noun for a group of politicians? A "lack"
of principles...

The fun part is that you can tie this in with a lecture on
Evolutionary Computing and Emergent Cooperation.

The thought had crossed my mind :) I'm only vaguely responsible for
lectures and topics (my main job is "make the lego do something with our
techniques") but nothing is set in stone.
-Luis

     Profanity is the one language that all programmers understand.
                  -Anonymous