 Robotics / 5196
Re: Windows CE
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics
Date:
Wed, 2 Jun 1999 15:08:34 GMT

Jim Karkanias wrote:

Stalker-Wilde, Graham <lego-robotics@crynwr.com> wrote in message
news:9C998CDFE027D211B61300A0C9CF9AB46F220A@SNYC11309...
sorry folks, the activeX control is intel x86 specific, it would need to • be
cross compiled for whatever processor your CE device uses.

oops...you're right of course!

You're right, unfortunately, about the IR port. It's hard to get low • enough
level access to it. (There've been endless discussions about writing a
universal remote for CE, even that has proved impractical.)

yeah...as I understand it that's due to the carrier based model used in IR
remotes?  and that this is why it's trivial to do IR control with a palm
pilot (and also why the palm pilot can't speak irda)...

This has been discussed here before.  The Palm Pilot
_does_ do irda and it is not "trivial" to do IR control with it.
It is possible to simulate remote control IR with irda and that's
what the OmniRemote software does.

What I want is a library for my Palm Pilot that lets me tap
directly into the code the the OmniRemote software uses.

As for carrying around a CE device, nice idea, but if your going that far
why not just write an embedded CE robot?

Now that's not a bad idea!  :-)  The price point would be a bit much
though...  it certainly would earn alot of cool points in my book though....
:-)

And justification for why is that I already have a RCX and
I already have a Palm Pilot.  I do not have an embedded wince bot. :)
So I want the parts I already have to talk to each other.  Of course,
anything that can be done with the Palm's IR port is probably also
applicable to your handheld wince devices.

-Paul (pspeed@progeeks.com)