 Robotics / 5197
Re: Windows CE
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics
Date:
Wed, 2 Jun 1999 15:35:48 GMT

And justification for why is that I already have a RCX and
I already have a Palm Pilot.  I do not have an embedded wince bot. :)
So I want the parts I already have to talk to each other.  Of course,
anything that can be done with the Palm's IR port is probably also
applicable to your handheld wince devices.

-Paul (pspeed@progeeks.com)

A similar thought that I have been having lately is that an RCX could be used
to implement reflex behaviors while more complex behaviors could be managed by
the higher brain functions of the Palm Pilot.  If a Palm 3 could be linked to
an RCX it would essentially be a $170 (Costco) 2 MB RAM/CPU upgrade.  Adding
that upper level of control could allow the RCX to do much more complex things
than it is currently capable of, such as mapping terrain.  A WinCE device could
also be linked to do this sort of thing, or for those lucky enough to own one a
good laptop could provide all the thinking power and memory an RCX could ever
possibly use, well unless you had endless battery power...

- William Carrel
  RCX <-> NetBSD/mac68k 1.4