 Robotics / 506
RE: moving in a straight line with two motors?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics
Date:
Fri, 13 Nov 1998 14:59:39 GMT

I might be able to use this solution for another problem.

My wheeled bots have a strong tendency to go in whichever direction is
necessary to run into sleeping cats. Straight line, pull to right, pull to
left -- as long as there's a sleeping cat in line of sight, the motors will
run slow and/or fast enough to ensure that they'll go smack-dab into the
side of said sleeping cat. I'm making several diagrams of this phenomena,
which I will post to a random, unspecified web site.

Perhaps by putting magnets on the cats with the south poles facing out, and
magnets on the bots with the north poles facing out, I can get my bot to do
what it was intended to do without any sort of cat-blockage. What I am
attempting to get my bot to do is to run into the corner behind the TV with
all the wires, tangle itself up as quickly as possible in a way that causes
the motors to strip as they try to turn unturnable wheels.

Another project I've been working on is to get a bot to turn slowly until a
candle is detected. Upon detecting the candle, the bot rams into said candle
at full speed, knocking it over and pouring wax all over the floor (and,
with any luck, setting the drapes on fire). After accomplishing this, it
plays a pleasing tune.

| Coyote                          |
| TinyTIM, the quadruple-ply MUSH |
| telnet yay.tim.org 5440         |