 Robotics / 5034
Re: Fishing for a tasty linkage/gearing/robotic building thread...
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics
Date:
Wed, 12 May 1999 14:57:40 GMT

Hi Michael and everybody,

I'm working on a robot (for my book)
that uses a single motor to go forward
and turn in place. I'm using a directional
transmission, based on Michael Powell's
original design:

  http://www.sonic.net/~rci/transmission.htm

I use the outputs of the directional
transmission to turn my drive wheels,
which are located on either side of
the robot. Run the motor forward, and
both wheels go forward. Run the motor
in reverse, and the robot spins in place (a
zero turning radius). Of course, you can only
turn in one direction, but this isn't much of
a limitation, particularly in light of the
zero turning radius. Want to turn right 90
degrees? Fine. Want to turn left 90
degrees? Just turn right 270 degrees (although
you'd need to rely on timing for this,
unless you want to get involved with
rotation sensors).

The gearing is a little tricky--I'm on my
fourth or fifth iteration of the drivetrain.
But it is possible, and it leaves you
with two free outputs to do other stuff.

Regards,
Jonathan