 Robotics / 4875
    Re: RCX and Java —Søren Hilmer
   (...) FYI I have been involved in two (big) projects using java for controlling industrial production one is used to control high speed sorting systems the other for controlling packing of newspapers comming directly from the rotation press. And yes (...) (25 years ago, 5-May-99, to lugnet.robotics)

        Re: RCX and Java —Ola Liljedahl
   (...) When making a GSM call setup the latency for the call going into a base station/base station controller and out into the next in the chain is 20ms. If you fail you break the GSM specification. How are you going to guarantee that with Java? (...) (25 years ago, 5-May-99, to lugnet.robotics)

        Re: RCX and Java —John A. Tamplin
     (...) I don't think anyone is suggesting that Java is appropriate for a hard-realtime system. Personally, I would expect nothing less than an RTOS with a deadline-based scheduler and a low-level language. However, I think the RCX does not have any (...) (25 years ago, 5-May-99, to lugnet.robotics)

        Re: RCX and Java —Søren Hilmer
   (...) rotation (...) No, java was picked because the company did not wan't to use C++ as it had some bad experience with projects taking way too long to complete. It had used Visual basic (yieek) before but it tended to be slow and the code was not (...) (25 years ago, 10-May-99, to lugnet.robotics)