 Robotics / 473
472  |  474
Subject:
some interesting lego building
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics
Date:
Wed, 11 Nov 1998 21:32:24 GMT

After reading the robot builder's guide on:
http://fredm.www.media.mit.edu/people/fredm/projects/6270/

I had an idea...  There's a really cool section about building strong
structures with lego technics pieces, and they list the different
possibilities for vertical braces that fit perfectly.  The basic idea
is that a lego unit is 8 mm wide and 9.6 mm high.  Using that, you can
solve for integer solutions for vertical braces.

So, I got to thinking... perfect diagonal braces should be possible.
All you do is solve for integer solutions to the following:
x = number of horizontal lego units
y = 3 * number of vertical lego units (because you can use 1/3 pieces)
r = number of horizontaal units for the diagonal brace

(8x)^2 + (9.6/3 * y)^2 = (8r)^2
x^2 + (4/25)y^2 = r^2

The reasonable length integer solutions are:
y     x     r
10    3     5
15    8     10
20    6     10
30    5     13
40    12    20

The y values need to be divided by 3 to get lego units.
(e.g. 3.33, 5, 6.66, 10, 13.33)  Extra 1/3's just mean that you need
an extra 1/3 thick piece vertically.

Thought this might be of some interest, as I've found that it is very
easy to build something that gets ripped apart by a motor's torque or
a bump into a wall.

Greg