 Robotics / 472
RE: What about multiplexing sensors?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics
Date:
Wed, 11 Nov 1998 21:07:52 GMT

Or rather than using each output port as an n-ary state
output you
could use it as a 'clock' (i.e. turning the output port on and off) to
increment an n-bit counter to cycle on every pulse through
however many
sensors you want.

This seems like what I call a statistical multiplexor or "StatMux".
Seems like it may be more difficult to implement (ie ROM decoding,
writing drivers, etc.), but the advantage of freeing up an output port
is really cool.  The hardware to generate the clock signal, etc. could
be a pain.

On the topic of "using up output ports" I was wondering why the Mux idea
couldn't be extended to Mux output channels as well as input channels?
There are many cases where I could see a few analog output channels
useful, but a lot could be done with having many digital output channels
at your disposal as well.

Using what you've already done Larry, it seems that you could go beyond
the 3 input limit as well as going beyond the 3 output limit.

--Steve