 Robotics / 453
  What about multiplexing sensors?

Has anyone attempted to mux the three sensor connections to expand the RCX's sensor capability? Think this is possible? I don't have an RCX of my own [yet] nor the EE capacity to pull this off, so I'm counting on the geniuses out there! --Steve (26 years ago, 11-Nov-98, to lugnet.robotics)

  Re: What about multiplexing sensors?

You can: 1. Put multiple Touch sensors on the same input but you can't tell which one was hit. 2. Put a Light and Touch sensor on the same input and read normal light levels except when the Touch is hit it the input will read 100. 3. There are a (...) (26 years ago, 11-Nov-98, to lugnet.robotics)

  Re: What about multiplexing sensors?

(...) I've done it using an output port to control a MUX. I've been able to control up to three sensors through one input port. This could be extended to nine sensors through all three sensor ports. I'm working on ways to control more sensors both (...) (26 years ago, 11-Nov-98, to lugnet.robotics)

  Sensor inputs (more than three)

Has anyone noticed that each sensor input block has four connectors? If you connect one sensor to two connectors and another sensor to the other two, you essentially read both sensors simultaneously. If this could be munipulated somehow then you (...) (26 years ago, 11-Nov-98, to lugnet.robotics)

  Re: What about multiplexing sensors?

(...) I do. I only have two motors! 8^) But I'm looking at ways to use either the inputs to control the MUX or have an external control that the RCX can query to determine which sensor is currently active. ---Larry +---...---+ Larry Coffin (...) (26 years ago, 11-Nov-98, to lugnet.robotics)

  Re: What about multiplexing sensors?

(...) Hang on - if you use all 3 outputs to control the MUX (which leaves me wondering why you'd bother - trees falling in forests and all that) you can get 24 inputs, even if you only treat each output as binary. More plausibly, you can use 2 (...) (26 years ago, 11-Nov-98, to lugnet.robotics)

  RE: What about multiplexing sensors?

You should be able to have three or more on/off sensors share a single input port without multiplexing. Just use a different resistor for each, so that any combination of pressing the three sensors yields a unique value out of 8 possible. For (...) (26 years ago, 11-Nov-98, to lugnet.robotics)