 Robotics / 4506
4505  |  4507
Subject:
Non-Lego mechanics reference / New Ideas?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics
Date:
Sun, 11 Apr 1999 10:54:59 GMT

Hi all,
  Has anyone come across any good basic mechanical reference resources?  I
have found that patent searches are a tad more complex than what I am
looking for.  I would be interested in hearing about non-Lego reference
sites (or books!!)that cover basic mechanical engineering.  Ideally, such
information would be targeted to an audience with no prior knowledge, but
would provide foundation information building to more complex concepts.
Hmm - sounds like what I am looking for is a "engineering 101" college
textbook.  O.K. anyone know of any good ones?  Here are the things I am
looking for:

Transmissions, clutches, gear ganging, cam principles, mechanical
articulation, etc.

  It would be neat to get a new infusion of ideas going around. I have
noticed that most of the big threads have kind of calmed down a bit -
adaptive transmission, adder/subtractor, synchro drive.  I am hoping a
"start from the basics" approach will work to create some new ideas for me.

Thanks!!
Kipling