 Robotics / 4498
4497  |  4499
Subject:
On 9V battery box #5391 for projects
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics
Date:
Fri, 9 Apr 1999 16:23:50 GMT

  I recently got a 5391 9V battery box from S@H to put my RCX IRPD board
into.  I cut off all but 3 nubs worth of the box from the end with the
switch and removed the battery tensioner at that back.  The board fits in
nicely with just the LEDs sticking out the open end.  I don't think it'll
be worth it to seal up the end though, it doesn't look that bad.  The cool
thing is the rows of power connectors on the top, you can put a standard
sensor/motor wire anywhere on the top center two strips and it'll work
fine.  This is definately the enclosure of choice for anything but the
tiniest of homebrew sensor boards.  I have a pic of the thing on my web
site http://www.verinet.com/~dlc/botproj.htm.  I also posted a new object
avoider NQC program that adds another task to look at a front bumper.  This
task sets a flag that keeps the main task from interfering when the bumper
task fires off - except if the main task is in the middle of a maneuver.
I will be adding a new task/activity that has the light sensor mounted on
a movable platform on the middle motor with a switch that can be used to
stop movement at 90 degrees.  This will be used to scan for high/low light
areas and move towards them.  We'll see how this setup works.  I'll post
that code when it does.  My platform is a simplification of the "top secret"
dual cat-track skid steering mobile base.

have fun,
DLC