 Robotics / 4415
Re: Pneumatic Hand-Pump
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics
Date:
Tue, 30 Mar 1999 16:03:50 GMT

In lugnet.robotics, Ralph Hempel writes:
Kipling wrote:

Greetings all,
  Has anyone found any interesting applications for the Pneumatic Hand-Pump?
I found myself puzzling over my rapidly growing collection of them.  It does
not seem to be well suited for a compressor due to it's size and the spring.

Ah yes, the brick separator of Technic - what to do with those hand pumps...

I've tried to take them apart, not too hard to do with jewellers screwsdrivers
to pry the tabs apart - carefully. Removing the spring wont get you much
benefit because of the AREA of the piston. Any useful pressure is going
to be too much for a geared down motor...or too slow.

Keep them as spares, or sell them to unsuspecting eBay buyers....

Cheers,

Ralph Hempel - P.Eng

Well, I've actually built a compressor with one hand pump (with the spring
removed). It was working, but I had to gear down the motor very much and the
resulting compressor was very slow.

You can see it employed in one of my robotic creatures (S5) at my web site:

http://www.geocities.com/CapeCanaveral/Galaxy/9449/

Ralph's double action compressor is definitely better.

Mario