 Robotics / 4391
Re: Angle Sensor
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics
Date:
Sun, 28 Mar 1999 15:19:04 GMT

On Sat, 27 Mar 1999, Michel Verhagen wrote:

Well, then I guess I need to build my own rotation sensor using a "Potmeter"
(variable resistor) because I need a real angle, actually I need an angle
per time value. Is this is possible?

So long as your software remembers to count the revolutions, it's surely
very simple to gear the Lego sensor to get a real angle...  however for
your idea below, you might need much too much gearing!

Did someone ever tried to balance a long broom on his hand or finger? I'm
creating a car that does just that using fuzzy logic...

You shouldn't need fuzzy logic to do this; it's a fairly well-known
control problem - easily controllable like this:

motor input =  k1 * angle + k2 * rate of angle
             + k3 * car position + k4 * car speed

where you need to find k1, k2, k3, k4 (which will depend on your setup)

This will allow you to keep the broom balanced, plus make the car stay
(roughly) in a chosen place (give or take the motion necessary to keep
the broom balanced)

I was going to try this, but haven't got an angle sensor yet...

Stuart Crawshaw
Control Group
Engineering Dept
Cambridge University