 Robotics / 4386
Re: Angle Sensor
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics
Date:
Sat, 27 Mar 1999 15:15:09 GMT

In lugnet.robotics, lego-robotics@crynwr.com (Michel Verhagen) writes:
Can someone tell me how the angle sensor works?

The Lego rotation sensor counts each rotation in 16 steps starting from 1 (no.
# 2 to 17 for the first full rotation). If the rotation goes backwards the
count is negative (no. # 0 to -15 for the first full backward rotation).

The count is cumulative, so that ten full rotations forward add 160, while
twenty full rotations back subtract 320; so your sensor value here would be 1 +
160 - 320 = -159.

Measured in degrees every 2 steps are a full 45 degrees. My impression is that
the sensor is very accurate.

Where can I get the angle sensor in Europe (The Netherlands)?

You can get the rotation sensor through your local Lego Dacta distributor,
contact information should be available at Lego's WEB Site (Dacta is Lego's
school product line). In Holland I guess that you will be paying something like
20 Euro for the rotation sensor. They also have a temperature sensor for the
RCX which is a little more expensive.

Play well!

Franz-Michael S. Mellbin

---