 Robotics / 4362
Re: multi-device output controller (fwd)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics
Date:
Fri, 26 Mar 1999 18:08:07 GMT

In lugnet.robotics, lego-robotics@crynwr.com (Jim Choate) writes:
----- Forwarded message from Dennis Clark -----

From: "Dennis Clark" <dlc@verinet.com>
Subject: Re: multi-device output controller (fwd)
Date: Fri, 26 Mar 1999 15:27:53 GMT

Ha!  I'm one up on ya both.  Run a tight loop and find out how fast the
RCX can cycle the motors on and off, time it, and send a package a serial • [snip]
What's the clock speed for the RCX and how many cycles does a read, write,
read take? I've only had mine 3 weeks, normaly I use a 8031 for my
robot and Lego stuff.

  Dunno, I haven't looked yet, I just came up with the idea.

Why did you capitalize BAUD? It's not an acronym. The baud rate is the PRR
while the actual bit rate is 8 times that if we're going to take each

  Because I felt like it?  I've seen it written both ways.

[snip]

And your numbers are off:

4 motors          2 bits

for/rev/stop      2 bits

  Nope.  0 (speed) means off, no matter what direction you are going,
therefore:
0= forward, 1=Reverse.  1 bit

8 speeds          3 bits

The beauty of the mechanism I described previously is that you can use the
64 addresses for anything, not just controlling motors. You could bank
switch the inputs, control other hardware, etc.

What I had in mind was to take two outputs and integrate the signal with the
PRR (Pulse Repetition Rate) since it's fixed. Then the output of the
integrator is linked to a S&H (Sample & Hold) so that it can be A/D'ed. This
provides a dual channel parallel digital address buss. Do the same thing on
the 3rd output only use it as the data buss. Then any device that wants to
sit on the buss would have 2 8-bit addresses and a 8-bit data port. This
could be extended by using the inputs on the RCX as a mechanism to read the
data for each of those addresses as well.

  Sounds complicated, but elegant.  My idea, just uses a different medium
for communication.