 Robotics / 4363
4362  |  4364
Subject:
Stepper motor design
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics
Date:
Fri, 26 Mar 1999 18:14:38 GMT

----- Forwarded message from Wes Matchett -----

From: Wes Matchett <wes@augustschell.com>
Subject: Re: multi-device output controller
Date: Fri, 26 Mar 1999 17:34:25 GMT

Now that I have brought up that topic, anyone know how to drive a stepper motor w/ RCX
PWM?

----- End of forwarded message from Wes Matchett -----

Generaly you'll need to convert the PWM to whatever sort of input the
appropriate stepper motor controller chip uses. Most of them will have a
for/rev/stop/brake along with a stepping speed select.

It's important to remember that steppers break by energizing (or shorting)
all the drive coils in the stepper.

I'd suggest select your motor, then select the appropriate controller chip.
Then you'll have the data to actualy design the convertor.

Good luck.

        The trouble with acting according to your conscience is that
        once you start doing it, nobody can trust you any more.

                                            Alexis A. Gilliland

       The Armadillo Group       ,::////;::-.          James Choate
       Austin, Tx               /:'///// ``::>/|/      ravage@ssz.com
       www.ssz.com            .',  ||||    `/( e\      512-451-7087