 Robotics / 4361
Re: multi-device output controller (fwd)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics
Date:
Fri, 26 Mar 1999 18:07:43 GMT

----- Forwarded message from Bill Flanagan -----

From: "Bill Flanagan" <bflanagan@mediaone.net>
Subject: Re: multi-device output controller (fwd)
Date: Fri, 26 Mar 1999 12:33:18 -0500

OK now the details.

6. Send to a MAX232 devices and wallah, RS-232. OK
5. serialize
OK
4. A/D (convert from anlalog to digital)                       How?  What
components?
3. S&H (sample and hold: buffer)                                How? What
components?
2.  Integrate
How? What components
1. Take the analog RCX output                                    How? What
components?

However, I need help on the component selection and design side.

----- End of forwarded message from Bill Flanagan -----

I'll do what I can but I really don't have the time right now to take on
*another* project. But feel free to ask questions...:)

First let me say that these above conversion steps are all well documented
in the literature. There are both discrete and integrated solutions
available.

Most manufacturers sell componants that S&H, integrate, serialize, etc. One
of the best ways I've found is to contact your local electronic wholesalers
and ask to visit their catalog room. It has been my experience they will be
more than happy to provide many databooks for free. If you have a real
business, or at least a DBA, it is much easier and they will waive fees for
such sets as from Intel. I generaly take away anywhere from a dozen to a
pick-up truck load full. In particular you want to ask about any
applications manuals or books they have available. Most chip manufacturers
(National's is excellent as is Motorola's) print these by the oodles. There
are various applications data sheets as well available on a component by
component basis. Data sheets are usualy free and can be ordered via phone.

Rather than provide a list of specific componants, when there are hundreds
of equivalent components on the market, I'd rather provide a list of
reference books that I have in my library. They should in general be
available either new or through used book stores.

The best (and it covers all of the above) is:

The Art of Electronics
Horowitz & Hill
ISBN 0-521-37095-7
~$60.00 US

[Another great book, discovered in my high school years]

Basic Electronics: devices, circuites, & systems
M.M. Cirovic
ISBN 0-87909-059-6
?

Handbook of Electronic Circuit Design
J.D. Lenk
ISBN 0-13-377309-4
?

Applications of Operational Amplifiers: 3rd Generation Techniques
Burr-Brown Electronic Series
07-023890-1 (McGraw & Hill)
?

Logic Designers Manual
J.D. Lenk
ISBN 0-87909-450-8
?

Operational Amplifiers: Design and Applications
Burr-Brown Electronic Series
07-064917-0 (McGraw & Hill)
?

Op Amps & Linear Integrated Circuits for Technicians
F.R. Dungan
ISBN 0-8273-5086-4
?

Microcomputer Interfacing (Prentice Hall Series in Personal Computing)
B.A. Artwick
ISBN 0-13-580902-9
?

[If you can find this next one, get it!]

Signetic Applications Guide: Digital, Linear, MOS (out of print)
Signetics (out of business)
n/a
originaly free, check your used book store

Analog Conversion Handbook
Analog Devices
n/a
$3.95 (optional, probably out of print)

Non-linear Circuits Handbook: Designing with analog function modules and
IC's
Analog Devices
$5.95 (optional, probably out of print)

Linear Electronics
T.F. Bogart
ISBN 0-02-311601-3
?

Microprocessor Interfacing Techniques
R. Zaks, A. Lesea
0-89588-029-6 (1979, out of print?)
~$15 US

[This next book is a must have if you work above 10MHz]

High Speed Digital Design: A handbook of black magic
H.W. Johnson, M. Graham
ISBN 0-13-395724-1
$60 US

Digital Systems: Principles & applications
R.J. Tocci
ISBN 0-13-293200-8
~$40 US (is used in many community colleges currently)

[This next one is another must have, specificaly for sbc and 8-bit
assembly. It also covers many of the above topics in machine code]

Real-time Programming: Neglected topics
C.C. Foster
ISBN 0-201-01937-X
$9.95

[Two more must haves]

Mobile Robots: Inspiration to implementation
J.L. Jones, A.M. Flynn
ISBN 1-56881-011-3
~$40 US

Sensors for Mobile Robots: Theory and applications
H.R. Everett
ISBN 1-56881-048-2
~$40 US

Hope that helps.

        The trouble with acting according to your conscience is that
        once you start doing it, nobody can trust you any more.

                                            Alexis A. Gilliland

       The Armadillo Group       ,::////;::-.          James Choate
       Austin, Tx               /:'///// ``::>/|/      ravage@ssz.com
       www.ssz.com            .',  ||||    `/( e\      512-451-7087