 Robotics / 4158
Re: More Output ports!
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics
Date:
Mon, 8 Mar 1999 11:55:28 GMT

With careful design, you could also use your 3rd (relay control) port
for controling a motor in one direction in each state. If you were
really desperate you can blast some power out from one of the inputs too
:)

If you could use an input to control the relay then you can easily have
6 outputs.. but if you used some fancy electronics and diode
arrangements then I'm sure you could have 8 outputs. (2^3) But that
would only work well if you only wanted one motor working at one time..

Cheers,
Richard

John Brubaker wrote:

Hi All - I posed a question a couple of weeks back about using small
relays to switch control of outputs in order to use more motors.
Since nobody said they had done it, I went ahead and bought some
parts from Radio Shack, and built a small switching device - it works
great.  Here's what I wanted to accomplish:

Robot uses 2 motors for traveling, then stops and switches to another
set of 2 motors to control an arm and gripper hand.  The 3rd output is
used to control which set of 2 motors gets control at any one time.

My robot uses 2 powered treads for forward, reverse, and turn.  The
gripping arm uses a motor to raise and lower, then another motor
controls a pneumatic switch to open or close the claw using a small
air cylinder.  It all works quite well.  If anyone's interested in the
switching device, I'll post some pictures of it this week.  It fits
into a Lego brick 2 pegs x 6 pegs x 6 thick.  Regards --- John.

--
Remove everything in-between and including the '_'s to reply!