 Robotics / 4116
FW: Several RCX/Mac Q's
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics
Date:
Thu, 4 Mar 1999 10:36:39 GMT

this needed sending to the list...

# -----Original Message-----
# From: rkippenhan@transactor.net
# Sent: mercredi 3 mars 1999 18:01
# To: Ken Guest; hchea@ramapo.edu
# Subject: RE: Several RCX/Mac Q's
#
# --------------------------------------------------------------
# --------------
#
# I'd have to echo ken's comments.  Dave Baum's site is pretty
# much *the*
# starting place for RCX/Mac work.
#
#
# Nobody has yet been able to use the native IR port on the Mac.  Palm
# Pilots and a couple universal remotes, yes.  From an earlier post on
# this group:
# Good point, I also had the brief idea to construct something like a
# IR-mirror
# which scatters the IR but with only 2 motors the mechanics become a
# nightmare.
#
#
# I looked into the palm III and its actually more difficult than
# initially
# thought:
# Lego is transmitting data with the help of a carrier
# frequency, meaning
# a bit is
# signaled by the existence/absence of 1/2400 sec of 38.4khz IR bursts.
# Palm
# however is using IrDA which works with timed IR pulses only and there
# seems to
# be a pulse length limiter built into the PalmIII sending HW.
#
#
# The solution as demonstrated by Remote for PalmIII seems to
# be the IrDA
# sampling
# of the lego bursts as bytes and translating these into bits. Meaning
# reading the
# Logo bits as IrDA bytes (of a higher frequency) and then
# assembling the
# Lego
# bytes out of a series of IrDA data. For that, one has to
# circumvent the
# std IrDA
# framing (leading byte, trailing byte and CRC checksum).
#
#
# I am actually talking to the developer of Remote for PalmIII
# and in the
# next
# version there seems to be a library which does this nasty translation
# for you.
#
#
# I will post my experience on the news group while I am going
# forward on
# this.
#
#