 Robotics / 4117
4116  |  4118
Subject:
The power of Mindstorms
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics
Date:
Thu, 4 Mar 1999 11:10:25 GMT

My son and I are making experiments to determine the power of the Lego
Gear motor (from Mindstorms). One finding has been that the average effect is
slightly above 10 Nm measured directly on the axle, so that a Lego motor can
lift 1 kg+ without stalling.

We are now increasing the output using Lego pulleys and gears. Even if Lego
parts have a bad reputation for power loss, we have ripped several different
kinds of strings (the original Lego string is really durable). It's quite
something when a 40 - 50 Nm set-up "blows up" and wrecks havoc - you learn to
keep a safe distance.

We hope to be able to post a small table with results for several standard
pulley and gear combinations next week.

Meanwhile we would like to see how much we can actually lift using Lego and
Lego Motors. The target is 40 kg using five motors (to lift my son). However,
at this kind of weight Lego parts tend to bend or be ripped apart, so there are
several construction issues to be solved.

If anyone else has tried some heavy weight Lego lifting we would like to share
your experiences before going for the ultimate 400 Nm challenge.

thanks

Franz-Michael S. Mellbin

---
fmm@fischer-mellbin.com